[Dragaera] Timeline 2.0 is done

Joshua Kronengold mneme at labcats.org
Mon Aug 1 12:13:23 PDT 2011

On 08/01/2011 02:44 PM, Scott Schultz wrote:
> One quibble, which may very well be my own take on things and not an "error"
> - It was my impression that a "Reborn Phoenix" is NOT something that occurs
> every cycle. Rather, it was the end-result of the Great Cycle.

Have to agree that Decadent/Reborn Phoenixes don't happen every cycle.
Don't agree that there's evidence that it's specifically a Great Cycle
thing, although having a lacuna in the cycle might very well be a result
of a Great Cycle turning.

That said, I don't think it's at all clear in the narrative that the
cycle turns with every change of ruler.  Certainly, we've got a
counter-example in the rules stated -- if the ruler dies too early in
the cycle (less than 289 years), the cycle cannot turn and another ruler
of that House will be chosen.  And the maximum length of a leg of the
cycle is 4,913 years, whereas a Dragaeran lifespan is 3000 years.  So
even if a reign is not cut short, a dynasty might last longer than a
single Dragaeran lifespan.

So with that in mind, it seems like the Decay/Rebirth cycle, while
fairly common in the Phoenix pattern (because, you know, that's what
Phoenixes are -like-) is really, when split between Phoenix rulers, a
sidegrowth of the usual "sometimes you have more than one ruler in a
dynasty" pattern.  Phoenixes will -tend- to have a decay/rebirth cycle,
because, you know, phoenixes; it might be the same ruler, it might be
two separate rulers.  They might be cut off at "decay"; the pattern is
clearly not exactly the same every time.

That said, I would argue that the usual pattern (thinking logically
rather than looking at direct textev) is

Phoenix, beginning of dynasty: sinks into decay and decadence.
Phoenix, end of dynasty: resurgence, rebuilding of empire, strength
leading to potential conquest, resulting in change (either via
revolution or peaceful changover after retirement or death of previous
ruler) to
Dragon dynasty, aggressive expansion, imperial tyranny, eventually
restrained by rule of law (Runnymede, on a repeating cycle), resulting
in the rise of
Lyorn beaurocracy

Could probably continue the cycle all the way round, but it involves a
lot of (interesting) speculation.