[Dragaera] Timeline 2.0 is done

Philip Hart philiph at slac.stanford.edu
Mon Aug 1 15:37:54 PDT 2011

On Mon, 1 Aug 2011, Alexx Kay wrote:

> First, thanks for pointing out the connection between the White Goblets
> and the 17^2 number; I can make good use of that anon.

17^2 has Text basis but Vlad believing it, (or saying he does, in a
passage intended to make the Dragaerans look bad iirc), right?  Could be
a simple self-fulfilling prophecy.

> I haven't the time to fully analyze now, but I'm pretty sure that the
> intent of the WG affair was for another Phoenix (possibly T's sister) to
> assume the throne.  I have long held that there can be (and often is) more
> than one ruler per House Reign.
>
> I suspect that it's true that T *could* have resigned to another Phoenix.
> It doesn't seem in character for him to do so, especially after he started
> getting mad at Adron.  Duke Wellborn perhaps could have talked him into
> such a course, but I doubt anyone else could.

To expand a little on my claim, if Adron suggests T resign the orb to
Aliera (or am I imagining that, and just remembering an obvious scenario
Sethra should have suggested?  Very far from Texts.) while it's possible
for him to resign it to another Phoenix, Sethra and Khaavren and esp.
Temma have to be complete buffoons.  T would rather the orb go to the
least noble member of the House than Adron's line.  And when T dies,
there's no question of the orb staying in the House.  Adron had nothing
to do with the regicide, why should he obviously be the emperor?  The
Cycle hasn't turned, surely.

Anyway I've hashed this out with myself at least in the archives (see Orb
vs Cycle emperor) and have never felt there was a scenario anything like
as clean as one emperor/reign (excepting the Teckla republic perhaps,
which is hard to envision), except for a once/Great Cycle exception.