[Dragaera] Timeline 2.0 is done

Philip Hart philiph at slac.stanford.edu
Mon Aug 1 16:24:28 PDT 2011

On Mon, 1 Aug 2011, Scott Schultz wrote:

> I have to be honest, Phil -  I'm having some difficulty following the above
> train of thought.

Actually I think you followed it, or have a similar opinion.  I think it
would be a mess if the Orb could stay in-house.  It would have saved a lot
of obvious and distressing trouble in _FHYA_ if the option were at all
available.

> There must be some sort of precedent for keeping the Orb within
> the same House, given what we know about the Cycle

Why?

> but those times must be rare and fraught with conflict unless the Orb
> categorically validates the move by attaching itself to the new
> recipient.

Why?  (Not that I disagree.)

> I don't recall Adron suggesting that he would make Aliera the Heir if
> Tortaalik would resign in her favor. If he did, then he was attempting to
> achieve a peaceful transition under some impression that Tortaalik
> distrusted him personally.

Maybe it was my idea then.  I think it's an obvious diplomatic solution,
preferably to the insanely risky thing Adron felt compelled to do.

Adron did the most desperate thing imaginable - if there was an out, it
would have gotten explored.

> I'm not sure regicide is the word you meant to use. In any case, Adron was
> the Dragon Heir. That's why he should "obviously be the Emperor".

Maybe the cycle hasn't turned and the Phoenix Heir should be emperor.
Adron killing T would be pretty good evidence he's the emperor; a Jhereg
doing so isn't.