[Dragaera] Why does the empire license brothels?

Erzsébet of Catspirit Wood dalton_0907 at gaeacoop.org
Sat Nov 5 18:07:28 PDT 2011

> From: Philip Hart<philiph at slac.stanford.edu>
>
> 8. Why does the empire license brothels beyond checking for STDs and
> health code issues, stuff nobody would want to go visit Vlad's Valentines
> to avoid paying for.  (I wonder incidentally if he has a sideline in
> unpasteurized cheeses and the like.)  Maybe in search of violence?
> Somehow I think that would have come up - what seems likeliest to me is
> cross-house sex.  That fits Piro and Ibronka seeing a Tsalmoth.

Since I'm still convinced there is some major reason for the taboo against mixing houses, most likely something to do with maintaining the Cycle as a source of energy for the Gods, this explanation appeals to me. I do recall that Khaavren had no qualms about pursuing the attentions of a certain Phoenix pretending to be an Issola at one time, though... I've often thought that was an odd contrast to his reaction to Piro and Ibronka.

But the "cheaper because it's untaxed" explanation works pretty well, too.

BTW, is the reference in _Tiassa_ the first one in the series regarding same-gender relationships?

--
Erzsébet of Catspirit Wood

Support SKZB and get cool loot!
http://www.cafepress.com/dragaera