[Dragaera] random thoughts on recent (or not) Texts

Philip Hart philiph at slac.stanford.edu
Sun Nov 6 00:49:08 PDT 2011

On Sat, 5 Nov 2011, Alexx Kay wrote:

>> 8. Why does the empire license brothels beyond checking for STDs and
>> health code issues, stuff nobody would want to go visit Vlad's Valentines
>> to avoid paying for.  (I wonder incidentally if he has a sideline in
>> unpasteurized cheeses and the like.)  Maybe in search of violence?
>> Somehow I think that would have come up - what seems likeliest to me is
>> cross-house sex.  That fits Piro and Ibronka seeing a Tsalmoth.
>
> The canonical answer is "not paying taxes makes it a lot cheaper".  But I
> like your answer also.

Perhaps I'm being an inerrantist, but in Tag Vlad says untaxed gambling,
unlicensed brothels, stolen goods, usurious loans.  I have the sense that
I saw "unlicensed brothels" elsewhere as well.  If the question is just
taxes, he should sell cigarettes or alchohol.  He says the licensing of
brothels involves intrusive observation, which customers don't like.
This sounds like the customer's and tag's houses are checked by the state
- anyway I don't know what else it would likely mean.