[Dragaera] random thoughts on recent (or not) Texts

Philip Hart philiph at slac.stanford.edu
Mon Nov 7 12:43:28 PST 2011

Wikiquote:
Salt from My Attic (1928), The Mosher Press, Portland, Maine; cited in The
Yale Book of Quotations (2006) ed. Fred R. Shapiro, p. 705

Googlebooks believes in it:
http://books.google.fm/books/about/Salt_from_my_attic.html?id=SDfhHAAACAAJ
... whose 500 copies were made on ...

Someone entirely random claims, "John A. Shedd used that in his book "Salt
from My Attic", published in 1928. But he appears to have been quoting an
ancestor, Willian Shedd. The saying has also been used by Admiral Grace
Shedd, who married into the family."

> "Genre fiction, as Terry Pratchett has pointed out, is a stew. You
> take stuff out of the pot, you put stuff back. The stew bubbles on."
>  -- Neil Gaiman, trying to counter the notion that Harry Potter is a
>     "rip" of his own "Books of Magic" graphic novel.

I thought Harry Potter was a rip of the collected Diana Wynne Jones.