[Dragaera] I think I'll go re-read Orca...

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Thu Dec 15 16:27:28 PST 2011

On Dec 15, 2011, at 4:25 PM, A. Craig West wrote:

> This reminds me of a basic principle I learned playing Bridge, which I
> suspect maps to poker fairly directly. If you are playing a hand, and
> the only possibility there is of winning is to assume the a particular
> player has the King of Hearts, play as if that player has the King of
> Hearts. Of course, in Bridge one does not have the option of folding,
> so I don't know think the concept is as strong in poker :-) Vlad
> rarely has the option of folding either...

True.    But we do have an option of folding - which comes with its costs as well.    Sometimes it is better to take a small loss instead of a larger loss.    For instance, if assuming wrong will allow the opponents to run a long suit with a penalty greater than the gain for making your contract.

Losing small should be considered as an option.