[Dragaera] I think I'll go re-read Orca...

A. Craig West acraigwest at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 15:25:47 PST 2011

On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 18:08, Philip Hart <philiph at slac.stanford.edu> wrote:
> Sethra saying it.  This is related to the concept Vlad mentions to Teldra
> (?) in _Issola_ (?), that if one can only survive by assuming one is being
> chased by someone who can't leap over a nine-foot trench (perhaps this comes
> up in _Athyra_, another philosophical Text, too?), one should so assume.
>  It's also related to the "Simple things are never problems" idea, or anyway
> it seems that way to me.  I wonder if there are similar instances elsewhere
> in the Vladiad (or [?] maybe in "The Desecrator"?).

This reminds me of a basic principle I learned playing Bridge, which I
suspect maps to poker fairly directly. If you are playing a hand, and
the only possibility there is of winning is to assume the a particular
player has the King of Hearts, play as if that player has the King of
Hearts. Of course, in Bridge one does not have the option of folding,
so I don't know think the concept is as strong in poker :-) Vlad
rarely has the option of folding either...