[Dragaera] Sethra/Mario/Vlad parallel I hadn't noticed before

Philip Hart philiph at slac.stanford.edu
Mon Jan 16 14:34:07 PST 2012

(I think.)

In _FHYA_, after Mario's first attempt on the Orb, or anyway the emperor,
he escapes despite Sethra being right there.  Either she was unusually
slow to respond, or she let him go.  I find it a bit hard to justify
either way - the argument for the latter might be that the empire had
enough trouble already and a fight with the Jhereg wouldn't be ideal.
Of course the Jhereg had been busily assassinating (or attempting to
assassinate) high govt. officials, to no apparent response, so I'm not
sure that can stand.  And Sethra had the extra motive that she'd just
revealed state secrets to Mario, secrets of use only to an assassin.

Anyway, I wanted to point out something I don't recall noticing before,
which is that at the very beginnning of the first great cycle Sethra had
allowed Dolivar, the first Jhereg, to escape (per Aliera in _Jhereg_).
This makes a nice echo if the second option above is sustainable.