[Dragaera] Mary Karr to David Foster Wallace

Scott Schultz scott at cjhunter.com
Thu Aug 23 10:24:53 PDT 2012

> On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 6:22 PM, Kenneth Gorelick <pulmon at me.com>
> wrote:
> But I'm wondering if being a familiar prevents this [Loiosh leaving
voluntarily], physically, mentally, or
> psionically.
>
> EZ

The answer would seem to be no, based on circumstantial evidence.

To the left, the jhereg ritual is a promise to the mother jhereg to care for
the egg and its hatchling. If the witch fails that duty, then the deal is
theoretically broken.

On the gripping hand, we know that when Loiosh met Roscza  that they flew
off together and Vlad was afraid that Loiosh was leaving him for good. It
turned out he was over reacting ("Geez Boss, can't a guy enjoy his
honeymoon?") but the reaction itself is evidence that Vlad at least believed
that Loiosh could leave on his own if he felt like it.