[Dragaera] Mary Karr to David Foster Wallace

Philip Hart philiph at slac.stanford.edu
Thu Aug 23 10:57:36 PDT 2012

On Thu, 23 Aug 2012, Scott Schultz wrote:

>> On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 6:22 PM, Kenneth Gorelick <pulmon at me.com>
>> wrote:
>> But I'm wondering if being a familiar prevents this [Loiosh leaving
> voluntarily], physically, mentally, or
>> psionically.
>>
>> EZ
>
> The answer would seem to be no, based on circumstantial evidence.

I've been assuming that "Your familiar shares your fate, of course"
(Verra's comment to Vlad in Taltos) has application beyond the Halls.
Ambrus is an old cat because Noish-pa is old.  The Warlock having two
familiars should be impossible because he has only one fate to share.
I admit Vlad has been killed without Loiosh falling off his perch, but
perhaps that's a process that requires the soul to leave the body.