[Dragaera] MASSIVE SPOILERS AHEAD

Patrick Burroughs (Celti) via Dragaera dragaera at lists.dragaera.info
Tue Oct 7 18:32:53 PDT 2014

Whoops, accidentally sent this reply singly and not to the list!

On Tue, Oct 7, 2014 at 12:21 PM, Jonathan Carey, CHRP via Dragaera
<dragaera at lists.dragaera.info> wrote:
> Okay, so I got 62% of the way into Hawk before the awesome compelled me to
> start theorizing as to just what in all the nine hells was going on.
> There's so much cool that I kind of have to limit myself to one
> topic---therefore, let's start with WTF IS TUKKO.
>
> The precipitating scene was Tukko's encounter with Vlad's shoulder.
>

> ***SPOILERS BELOW***
>

> ***NO REALLY***
>

> **DON'T SAY I DIDN'T WARN YOU***
>
> I'm reasonably certain now that Tukko is a god; though which one I'm not
> sure.  Steve has said that no one is anyone else other than Sethra/Kiera.
> But I believe he said that specifically with regards to the plot of Dzur
> and/or Iorich, and so I believe that Tukko is a God in disguise.

I'm not sure he's a God... I'm more inclined to think he is the spirit
of Dzur Mountain itself, and specifically bound up with Sethra and
Iceflame that way.

> Here are my arguments in favour:
>
> 1) Of lesser persuasiveness, the fact that to be a God, one of things
> required as a benchmark is the ability to be in two plays at once; which is
> not to say that one equates to the other; we know Sethra can do this
> without having becoming a God.  We also know that becoming a God is a
> choice--one is invited to join their ranks.
>
> 2)  Godslayer leapt at touching him; the only thing that it would do if it
> had come in contact with one of its intended victims.  NB: intended =/=
> destined, not necessarily.  I don't know if Vlad with LT have had a similar
> encounter with the Necromancer; but even if they haven't, I can't quite
> believe that LT would respond in the same manner (nor, I imagine, would
> Rocza).  But we know that the Necromancer is a God; merely one who can be,
> in some ways, contained, and hence qualifies as a Demon.   What the
> distinction between a Demon and a Demon God(dess) is remains unanswered at
> this time.  Possibly that Verra was a God and somehow became bound; and
> that the Necromancer was some form of mortal and somehow became a (bound)
> God, is my best guess.

Lady Teldra ALSO reacts strongly to sorcery — if Dzur Mountain is in
fact laced with trellanstone, and is perhaps the source of the Orb,
and Tukko is the spirit of Dzur Mountain, I could see a similar
reaction. We unfortunately did not get to hear what Teldra had to say
about him. Consider also the reaction when Iceflame and Lady Teldra
crossed blades; could that have been Lady Teldra reacting with the
essence of sorcery itself?

> 3) Sethra works (reluctantly) with the Gods to help secure the fate of
> Dragaera--and yet eschews the God's company--and the Gods, for their part,
> look upon Sethra rather the way Aliera does upon Kragar.  So therefore, how
> does Sethra work with the Gods?  A God liaison is one possibility. One,
> presumably, bound to Dzur Mountain in some way; and given how Sethra is
> bound to Dzur Mountain, we could be looking at a 3 or 4-way commune between
> Sethra, Tukko/Chaz, Iceflame and Dzur Mountain.

This is a somewhat compelling argument, but I'm rather inclined to
think the Gods would come to look upon the one they set as their
liason as much as they look on Sethra, given time.

> It occurs to me that Dzur Mountain may very well be the rock upon which
> Dragaera was metaphorically created; unless it was the natural aggregation
> of Trellanstone.  It's always possible that Dzur Mountain IS the natural
> aggregation of Trellanstone.  That would sure make it easier to make a
> mountainous sculpture.  Given that Trellanstone merely allows the natural
> cacoastrum to be confined to a particular "channel", and if the "channel"
> were dictated by, say, Tukko...it would explain why he's so attached to a)
> Dragaera the world, to the end that he's not willing to let the Jenoine
> struggle with the Gods for it, for fear that it would be destroyed and/or
> b) Dzur Mountain itself.  Either the mountain or the trellanstone could
> easily be the "cornerstone" of Dragaera.  But it's entirely possible that
> Dragaera was created by the Jenoine as a means of demarcating their
> "laboratory" in terms of "physical location", such that its destruction
> might be, well, catastrophic for the world itself.  The greater and lesser
> seas, for example, are merely puncture holes into the background of the
> universe without; and without the trellanstone providing containment,
> everyone involved could find themselves with some very serious problems on
> their hands, real quick.

I don't think the world was created by the Jenoine, unless they also
created the Serioli; and if they created the world and the Serioli,
why did they turn the visiting humans into Dragaerans? No, it seems
much more likely to me that they found Dragaera, and found the
trellanstone (perhaps in the form of Dzur Mountain), and started their
experiments with it.

> 4) Tukko is known to be far, far older than Sethra, having referred to her
> as "young one" before.

There was a bit where they both said the other was older than they
were. This, I think, lends credence to the idea that Tukko is bound up
with Dzur Mountain and Iceflame; they are each older than the other
because they were transformed from what they originally were into
their current bound-together nature, and thus “older” has little
meaning to them.

> 5) Tukko translates online as "needles" from the Hungarian.  Not sure if
> this is relevant.

What does Chaz translate to?

> 6) I'm not ruling out the possibility that Tukko is a Jenoine--perhaps the
> one who "unlocked the cage" as it were, letting the Gods out so they could
> cause their mischief and, apparently, highly improbable victory against the
> Jenoine.  The archetype, more or less, of the jailer who fell in love with
> the inmate--though that would likely be putting far too human a spin on
> it.  My impression is that the Jenoine view Dragaera now as an area that
> has suffered containment failure (not of the chaos that fuels the
> experiments, but of the experiments themselves); ie, an asylum where the
> crazies run free; Raccoon City after the outbreak; etc etc.  Ie, highly
> dangerous, but not without worth if it could be brought back under
> control.  Hence the "military" coming in to see if they could secure at
> least a foothold if not outright control of the asset.

Perhaps he might have been a Jenoine that was the soul that became
Iceflame? That'd be interesting.

I do agree on your opinion of how the Jenoine view Dragaera;
dangerous, but valuable if restored to them.

Regards,
~Celti