[Dragaera] Hawk *SPOILERS*

Jerry Friedman via Dragaera dragaera at lists.dragaera.info
Fri Oct 10 21:03:18 PDT 2014

> On Friday, October 10, 2014 7:53 AM, Jose Marquez via Dragaera <dragaera at lists.dragaera.info> wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 9, 2014 at 11:45 PM, Jon Lincicum via Dragaera <
> dragaera at lists.dragaera.info> wrote:
>
>> On 10/7/2014 6:13 PM, Bryan Newell via Dragaera wrote:

>>> P
>>> O
>>> I
>>> L
>>> I
>>> N

>>> P
>>> O
>>> I
>>> L
>>> E
>>> R
>>>
>>> Prologue
>>>
>>> I'm pretty sure Steve said somewhere he was a fan:
>>> (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gRdQeuZ9Tw).
>>>

>> Nice catch. I don't watch this show myself, so would have otherwise
>> completely missed this. Definitely one for the Jokes & Allusion page if
> and when we get C&S back.
>>
>> Based on the premise of that show, however, I wouldn't be surprised if
> the producer was a Vlad fan.
>>

> I believe I caught a Leverage reference in there as well ("Let's steal
> the
> Jhereg Council" or thereabouts). I wouldn't be surprised if there are
> jokes
> and allusions to a number of other heist shows/movies/books in there that
> I've missed.

Vlad throws the amulet into the sea--an echo of Severian throwing his boots
into the sea?  (And what if he needs the amulet for something else some day?)

"It was supposed to be a celebration of the end of a job, of my new freedom.
Well, I guess it was a freedom of a different kind."

Are we supposed to think of /My Own Kind of Freedom/ (which I haven't
read)?

Neither of those is as definite as the allusion to /Burn Notice/, though.
And thanks for the link--I'd have had no idea otherwise.

Jerry Friedman