[Dragaera] Hawk

Konrad Gaertner via Dragaera dragaera at lists.dragaera.info
Sat Nov 1 16:28:07 PDT 2014

-

On 10/23/2014 4:29 AM, Steve Rapaport via Dragaera wrote:
 > Joshua Kronengold wrote:
>>
>> Khaavren was, himself, the witness; Vlad prepared the ground, and Khaavren
>> saw/listened to the whole thing.  Thus, there's an impecable witness to the
>> crime, one who is -not- forbidden by house law from testifying against the
>> Jhereg.
>
> If this is right -- i.e. if Khaavren actually witnessed the entire thing,
> subsequent to Vlad snitching in advance, then we do have a problem: What if
> the Jhereg Council had NOT betrayed Vlad?
>
> Remember, he was thinking through ALL the contingencies, not just the one
> that happened. The possibility that they'd play it straight had to be
> considered. In that case, Khaavren had just witnessed a crime and would
> have to arrest the participants, including Vlad, who would have been paid.
> It wouldn't make sense either for Vlad to let himself off the hook, or for
> Khaavren to turn a blind eye to a crime he'd been alerted to and then
> witnessed.
>
> So how did Vlad and Khaavren plan to handle that possibility?

I don't see how Khaavren could have eavesdropped without the very
suspicious sorcerers noticing.  Also, if he had been nearby, he should
have intervened once the fighting started.  More likely, Vlad told him
to show up when the fog appeared.

If Vlad wasn't betrayed, then he still wouldn't have received any money
or other material gain.  His only payment was a promise that the Jhereg
would stop trying to break a bunch of laws when dealing with him.

Konrad Gaertner - - - - - - - - - - - - email: kgaertner at tx.rr.com
http://kgbooklog.livejournal.com/
"I don't mind hidden depths but I insist that there be a surface."
                           -- James Nicoll