[Dragaera] I reviewed Hawk. :-/

Jerry Friedman via Dragaera dragaera at lists.dragaera.info
Sat Nov 1 21:04:52 PDT 2014

Ti
Is
Ts
Io
Te

On Friday, October 31, 2014 9:57 AM, Jon Lincicum via Dragaera <dragaera at lists.dragaera.info> wrote:

>On 10/29/2014 5:25 PM, Steve Rapaport via Dragaera wrote:
>> I love Brust's work, and I love you guys, but I have to say that this
>> 4-star review focuses mainly on what I felt was missing from Hawk.
>>
>> It feels somehow inappropriate for this forum because of that.  But here it
>> is.
>>
>> http://www.amazon.com/review/R3D31NOMGYGXP4/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm
>>

>I seriously don't know what you're talking about here.
>
>There are some HUGE MAJOR revelations in this one, beyond just the basic
>plot of the story, or the resolution Vlad comes up with at the end.
>
>I would direct your attention especially to Chapter 10, especially in
>this regard. You may wish to review this interaction and reflect on the
>longer-term implications of the events in this part of the story.

You mean the revelation that Tukko sleeps sometimes? :-)

I liked the scene, but I can see why Steve Rapaport said it only advances
the Lady Teldra arc a millimeter (with a bit of exaggeration, or understatement,
or whatever that is).  After that scene, her relationship with Vlad is
back to where it was before, as far as I can tell.  I suppose that in
future books we can expect her to fight physically for him again.

Did I miss other huge major revelations?

>To me, it's more important that each book tells an interesting story on
>its own merit than that we get major arc-plot advancements. I found this
>to be a very refreshing old-style Vlad tale; where he sees a problem,
>goes out and tackles it in his own way, and comes out of the experience
>a little wiser, and a little more prepared for what is to some next.
>
>If every book were on the scale of /Issola/, with mighty battles against
>Jenoine and the gods and who knows what all, I believe the series would
>burn out far too quickly; and that would make me sad.

I want books to be like /Dragon/, /Phoenix/, and /Athyra/, where Vlad really
grows, or understands something he didn't before.  But I suppose there are
only so many opportunities for that available.  And I would like to start
seeing more hints about the final plot, as well as developments in Vlad's
love life (which the way may be open for now).

Jerry Friedman