[Dragaera] I reviewed Hawk. :-/

Jon Lincicum via Dragaera dragaera at lists.dragaera.info
Sat Nov 1 21:22:21 PDT 2014

On 11/1/2014 9:04 PM, Jerry Friedman via Dragaera wrote:
> Ti
> Is
> Ts
> Io
> Te
>

> You mean the revelation that Tukko sleeps sometimes? :-)
>
> I liked the scene, but I can see why Steve Rapaport said it only advances
> the Lady Teldra arc a millimeter (with a bit of exaggeration, or understatement,
> or whatever that is).  After that scene, her relationship with Vlad is
> back to where it was before, as far as I can tell.  I suppose that in
> future books we can expect her to fight physically for him again.
>

> Did I miss other huge major revelations?

Well, it is, of course, by its very nature speculation.

But the way Iceflame and Lady Teldra reacted to one another seems to
indicate that at some point, they (and their respective wielders) will
find their destinies diametrically opposed to one another.

This could well mean that after 200,000+ years, it may be Sethra's fate
to finish the job she failed to do so long ago and "hamstring the yendi"
(i.e. kill Vlad, i.e. the destroy soul of Dolivar).

Is this reading too much into the encounter? Very likely. However, the
encounter does open up some possibilities for speculation (such as this)
that had not really been hinted at before.

>> To me, it's more important that each book tells an interesting story on
>> its own merit than that we get major arc-plot advancements. I found this
>> to be a very refreshing old-style Vlad tale; where he sees a problem,
>> goes out and tackles it in his own way, and comes out of the experience
>> a little wiser, and a little more prepared for what is to some next.
>>
>> If every book were on the scale of /Issola/, with mighty battles against
>> Jenoine and the gods and who knows what all, I believe the series would
>> burn out far too quickly; and that would make me sad.
>
> I want books to be like /Dragon/, /Phoenix/, and /Athyra/, where Vlad really
> grows, or understands something he didn't before.  But I suppose there are
> only so many opportunities for that available.  And I would like to start
> seeing more hints about the final plot, as well as developments in Vlad's
> love life (which the way may be open for now).

Hmmm. I saw quite a bit of that in /Hawk/. It certainly wasn't as flashy
as it has been in some of the other books.

But there are times when Steve likes to put the "b" in subtle, I suppose.

--Majikjon