[Dragaera] I reviewed Hawk. :-/

Steve Rapaport via Dragaera dragaera at lists.dragaera.info
Tue Nov 4 20:49:41 PST 2014

On 4 November 2014 05:21, Jon Lincicum <lincicum at comcast.net> wrote:

>  On 11/3/2014 6:38 PM, Steve Rapaport wrote:
>

> On 3 November 2014 22:09, Jon Lincicum via Dragaera <
> dragaera at lists.dragaera.info> wrote:

>  By the way, 'hamstring' means disable, not 'kill'. And Sethra has
> overruled both plans and destiny before. She and Vlad seem to have more
> free will than most of the players.
>

> Well, in the context of the original "hamstring the yendi" quotation way
> back in /Jhereg/, it was heavily implied that once Sethra had hamstrung
> him, Keiron and company would have merrily finished him off. So, while not
> instantly fatal, hamstringing Dolivar would have indeed led directly to his
> demise.
>
> Instead, Sethra let him get away.
>
> What if the entire fate of the Empire since, and the reason the gods
> allowed Sethra to return as an undead, was simply that she had "unfinished
> business"... and that that business was to finally fulfill what she had
> been destined to do 200 thousand years before, and had failed to do?
>
> Ya know, I don't agree. I think the context isn't what you remember. Here
it is, and it's Aliera speaking:

"I was there, Vlad, when Kieron was backed into a corner by an ex-Dragon
named Dolivar, who had been Kieron's brother before he shamed himself and
the whole tribe. Dolivar was tortured and expelled. I share the guilt there,
too, as does Sethra. Sethra was supposed to hamstring the yendi, but she
missed-deliberately. I saw, but I didn't say anything. Perhaps that makes me
responsible for my brother's death, later. I don't know..."

I'm not really sure 'the yendi' even refers to Dolivar, but if it does,
it's clear that Sethra and Aliera both let him go, and it's not clear that
anyone wanted him dead. Tortured and expelled kind of implies "not trying
to kill someone".

 --StY