[Dragaera] I reviewed Hawk. :-/

Jon Lincicum via Dragaera dragaera at lists.dragaera.info
Wed Nov 5 07:26:34 PST 2014

----- Original Message -----

From: "Steve Rapaport" <steve.rapaport at gmail.com>
To: "Jon Lincicum" <lincicum at comcast.net>
Cc: dragaera at lists.dragaera.info
Sent: Tuesday, November 4, 2014 8:49:41 PM
Subject: Re: [Dragaera] I reviewed Hawk. :-/

On 4 November 2014 05:21, Jon Lincicum < lincicum at comcast.net > wrote:

On 11/3/2014 6:38 PM, Steve Rapaport wrote:

On 3 November 2014 22:09, Jon Lincicum via Dragaera < dragaera at lists.dragaera.info > wrote:

> On Sunday, November 2, 2014 4:31 AM, Jon Lincicum via Dragaera < dragaera at lists.dragaera.info > wrote:

> > On 11/1/2014 9:04 PM, Jerry Friedman via Dragaera wrote:
>>  Ti
>>  Is
>>  Ts
>>  Io
>>  Te
>>

>Ya know, I don't agree. I think the context isn't what you remember. Here it is, and it's Aliera speaking:
>
>"I was there, Vlad, when Kieron was backed into a corner by an ex-Dragon
>named Dolivar, who had been Kieron's brother before he shamed himself and
>the whole tribe. Dolivar was tortured and expelled. I share the guilt there,
>too, as does Sethra. Sethra was supposed to hamstring the yendi, but she
>missed-deliberately. I saw, but I didn't say anything. Perhaps that makes me
>responsible for my brother's death, later. I don't know..."
>
>I'm not really sure 'the yendi' even refers to Dolivar, but if it does, it's clear that Sethra and Aliera both let him go, and it's not clear that anyone wanted >him dead. Tortured and expelled kind of implies "not trying to kill someone".

Thanks for looking this up. I did mis-remember a bit; however I parse this passage differently.

"He was tortured and expelled. Sethra was supposed to hamstring the yendi..." implying, he was being banished out into the wild where the beasts lurked, and Sethra was supposed to disable him so that he would be easy prey to the critters; but she didn't. She let him go unharmed and able to defend himself. And thus, Dolivar was able to survive the expulsion, regroup, and form the Jhereg.

So yeah. Sethra was expected to provide what would amount to the killing blow (even if the actual death would due to the local wildlife, thus freeing Keiron, Drien, Sethra, et al. from any guilt realted to directly murdering a relative).

This implication seems pretty clear to me; but hey, I wasn't there.

--Majikjon