[Dragaera] Hawk

Steve Rapaport via Dragaera dragaera at lists.dragaera.info
Fri Nov 7 10:13:30 PST 2014

> Just had a thought about Jon's thought.
>
> ******Here there be Spoilers*****
>

> 6) THE BARRIERS IN VLAD'S HEAD
>
> What exactly are they?  They were set up, I believe, by Verra, but...for
> what purpose?  To prevent him from remembering something?  Why?  To keep
> him from getting mad? (not likely, because discovering they were there is
> getting him angry, though it's fair to say that if this scenario is true,
> then whatever they're hiding is going to get Vlad a LOT more mad)  To keep
> him, somehow, from his Destiny?  Vlad alludes to the fact that his soul had
> a destiny, but that he discarded it, so if it is indeed true that destinies
> can be avoided, then I would suggest that Verra is doing whatever she can
> to help him to avoid the one wherein he kills her.  And furthermore, being
> a Goddess, is not likely to make many mistakes.  Not likely.  Not unable.
> On top of that, Godslayer has a tendency to unravel the artifice of the
> Gods, so it could be that she is being VERY careful, but that LT just
> doesn't give a shit :P

I just realized that the barriers in Vlad's head might be there to prevent
him getting real curious about how Lady Teldra works, and what he can do
with her. He has always shied away from thinking too much about those
things, even when it's obvious he'd gain power from it. LT comes with no
manual, and he's deliberately avoided for at least a few years:
* Asking Sethra for details on how to help LT 'wake up' or tips on care and
feeding of a Great Weapon
* Trying again to make his consciousness 'go through' Spellbreaker, which
was obviously a really powerful thing to do and got him in touch with LT on
a deep level, as well as instantly healing him.
* Wondering about the destiny of LT as regards Verra

I'd always written these things off as Vlad's personality, and later as
Steve being very economical with the gee-whiz factor, but perhaps it's all
a direct result of Verra's meddling, to keep Vlad from going off
prematurely.

--
\Steve