[Dragaera] Liberals

Philip Hart via Dragaera dragaera at lists.dragaera.info
Sun Nov 9 11:49:56 PST 2014

On Sun, 9 Nov 2014, Jerry Friedman via Dragaera wrote:

> The recent mentions of social justice at our author's blog have made me
> notice that there are no liberals in Dragaera.  Nobody renounces their
> House and marches with the Teckla, we hear nothing about any wealthy
> sympathizers funding Kelly, there's no Eastern Martin Luther King,
> nobody says, "Though we must deplore the rioters' methods, the riots are
> a clarion call for justice that the Empire cannot ignore."  Have I
> missed something?

Mostly a quibble, but isn't Paarfi's perspective liberal?  Don't Dzur
fight for Teckla and Easterners when their swords are sharp?  Wouldn't
one expect the Iorich to make the statement you suggest, and we'd know
about it if Vlad met one and discussed the topic?  With the Cycle where
it is, and 200 kyears of history on the books, there may for that matter
not be a lot to say.  (Here I'm thinking a bit of LeGuin's _The
Dispossessed_ and the statement at the end by the Hainish man that they
have tried everything over millennia and nothing works.)