[Dragaera] Liberals

Jon Lincicum via Dragaera dragaera at lists.dragaera.info
Thu Nov 13 22:01:43 PST 2014

On 11/13/2014 8:53 PM, Jerry Friedman via Dragaera wrote:
>> From: Rebecca Harbison via Dragaera <dragaera at lists.dragaera.info>
>> (T his reminds me that I need to read Hawk...)
>>
>> Of course, I have some speculation.  What does having apparently
>> substantial 'unhoused' Easterners do for the Empire where the Cycle of
>> Houses is part of the Empire's stability?  While Easterners have joined the
>> House of the Teckla before the Interregnum (given evens of TPG), it seems
>> as if they were unusual, especially far from the border, and that
>> Easterners who were not Teckla (and not trying to invade) were an especial
>> novelty.  They existed -- I recall Khaavren mentioned one working as a
>> librarian -- but they seemed to be sort of the 'exotic foreigner'.
>>
>> So Verra might be acting because even she doesn't know what a bunch of
>> Easterners who haven't really assimilated into the Empire's caste
>> structure, even as they became an underclass, can do.
> Hm.
>> (I also wonder if because it's the start of a Great Cycle that the Cycle
>> might be vulnerable to modification.  We already have calendar
>> irregularities as to whether the Cycle started with Tortaliik or Zerika IV.
>> I suppose the question is whether the Cycle flows only from the
>> metaphysical to the physical, or if it flows both ways.)
> At some point in the distant past, somebody (sorry, I forget who) suggested
> that the Cycle was based on reactions to each house.  People get tired of
> the Jhereg and want to punish them, so the Iorich gain power, and then nobody
> can get out from under the grip of the law except the sly Chreotha, etc.

Perhaps this is what you were thinking of?

http://dragaera.wikia.com/wiki/Speculation:Cycle_Turnings
One of my more far-flung speculations, but I think an interesting one,
nonetheless.

There is an interesting bit in Iorich (Chapter 5) where Vlad is talking
to Perisil (an Advocate) about "Justice" vs "Law" and Perisil mentions
that during the reign of the Iorich, the concepts are the same; during
other reigns, what passes for "justice" is just the balance between the
varied interests of those in power. While this may be a moment where
SKZB's political prejudices show just a bit, it does seem to illustrate
your point.

--Majikjon