[Dragaera] Liberals

Rebecca Harbison via Dragaera dragaera at lists.dragaera.info
Mon Nov 17 10:50:35 PST 2014

> I wonder how the Dragons feel about their required service in the Jhereg Guard.
> Their House should really give them a waiver during that reign. I suppose
> as things start to fall apart, some Dragons might want to enlist to help
> the Iorich arrest the Emperor or whatever happens.

I had assumed that, while Dragons must serve as soldiers as part of
becoming proper adult members of their House, there's no reason they can't
be either mercenaries or attached to a lesser noble rather than His/Her
Majesty, and that the makeup of the Imperial Insert-House-Here Guard
depends a lot on the character of the Emperor/Empress.  (It is mentioned
that the Athyra Guard prized wizardry, hence why so many younger
nobles/gentry are considering joining once the House of the Phoenix takes
the Orb.  Someone like Khaavren wouldn't have been eligible for
the Athyra Guard, and there were probably fewer Dragonlords (though enough,
since some members of the House do study sorcery).)

So, maybe many of the young Dragonlords that might otherwise seek a job in
the Guard find other people looking for soldiers.

-- Rebecca