[Dragaera] Liberals

Jerry Friedman via Dragaera dragaera at lists.dragaera.info
Mon Nov 17 10:30:00 PST 2014

> From: Jon Lincicum <lincicum at comcast.net>
> On 11/16/2014 9:48 PM, Jerry Friedman wrote:
>
>>  The topic of a Jhereg Reign came up at Steven's blog. I started
>>  wondering what it would be like. Lots of Empire spending to stimulate
>>  the economy and provide government contracts to get kickbacks from.
>>  High taxes on gambling and prostitution and whatever else the
>>  Organization provides untaxed. Low taxes on other things.
>
> I'd imagine that a Jhereg reign would be one of the most oppressive in
> terms of legal regulations. Strict prohibitions on anything and anyone
> that people want beyond the basic necessities. That way, there's a much
> more lucrative market for everything the Jhereg sells. Anything not
> required is forbidden. At least, officially.

But if we're to believe FHYA, nobody thought of outlawing drugs till
Greycat.  What you outline would make a lot of sense for the Jhereg
(if the rest of the Empire could stand the hypocrisy), but I doubt
they actually do it.

> And yes, lots of pork-barrel spending with kickbacks to nobles with
> influence inside the government.
>
> You could compare it to the modern military-industrial-entertainment
> complex.

I wouldn't dream of such a thing.

I wonder how the Dragons feel about their required service in the Jhereg
Guard.  Their House should really give them a waiver during that reign.
I suppose as things start to fall apart, some Dragons might want to
enlist to help the Iorich arrest the Emperor or whatever happens.

Jerry Friedman