[Dragaera] Liberals

Jon Lincicum via Dragaera dragaera at lists.dragaera.info
Sun Nov 16 22:06:36 PST 2014

On 11/16/2014 9:48 PM, Jerry Friedman wrote:
> The topic of a Jhereg Reign came up at Steven's blog. I started
> wondering what it would be like. Lots of Empire spending to stimulate
> the economy and provide government contracts to get kickbacks from.
> High taxes on gambling and prostitution and whatever else the
> Organization provides untaxed. Low taxes on other things.

I'd imagine that a Jhereg reign would be one of the most oppressive in
terms of legal regulations. Strict prohibitions on anything and anyone
that people want beyond the basic necessities. That way, there's a much
more lucrative market for everything the Jhereg sells. Anything not
required is forbidden. At least, officially.

And yes, lots of pork-barrel spending with kickbacks to nobles with
influence inside the government.

You could compare it to the modern military-industrial-entertainment
complex.

--Majikjon