[Dragaera] Liberals

Rebecca Harbison via Dragaera dragaera at lists.dragaera.info
Wed Nov 19 09:26:15 PST 2014

> But there's a biological difference between Dragons and Teckla that there isn't
> between, say, medieval nobles and peasants.  I assume so, at least-- it
> would be funny to find out that the differences between the Houses are all
> cultural.

Morrolan is a test case, but it's hard to generalize from a single
Dragonlord raised without any knowledge of the caste system of his home
country.  We also don't know what Morrolan remembers from his mother or the
instructions his mother gave to the people who raised him.  For instance,
if they knew he was the son of two great warriors and the nephew of
another* -- and that he was a noble elf, and everyone knew that elfs were
quite good at protecting their borders -- Morrolan might pick up the same
ideas about what he should be doing others gave him as a Dragonlord, just
not tied to the House, but tied to family.

(I suspect that even if there is statistical difference, culture plays a
strong role in reinforcing it, enough that it would be hard to tease out
what is biology especially within the Empire itself, and finding elfs far
enough removed from the culture of the Dragaeran Empire but having clear
genetic markers for only one or two houses would be hard.  Except possibly
for genetic-Teckla living in the islands, given the numerical difference
between Teckla and every other house.)

* And I suspect Lord Adron might have a reputation in the East given his
position at the border, while Rollondar might just have been abstracted
into the government of the Empire, as Southmoor** wasn't as close to the
border, so Rollondar would be acting as general for the Faerie King to the
west, not as a Noble of Faerie.

** And I just realized that I don't know if the title for Southmoor was
from Morrolan's mother or father.  I assume father simply because I'm
assuming any titles in Adron's family went to him and not his sister. Or
maybe it was stated in canon, and I don't recall.