[Dragaera] Liberals

Jerry Friedman via Dragaera dragaera at lists.dragaera.info
Wed Nov 19 11:35:35 PST 2014

> From: Rebecca Harbison <beccastareyes at gmail.com>
>
>But there's a biological difference between Dragons and Teckla that there isn't between, say, medieval nobles and peasants.  I assume so, at least-- it would be funny to find out that the differences between the Houses are all cultural.
>
>Morrolan is a test case,
Come to think of it, so is Norathar, probably, and she seems pretty Dragonish.  (On the
other hand, the Dragons and the Jhereg seem to have a lot in common, which may be part
of the reason the Dragons hate the Jhereg.)
>but it's hard to generalize from a single Dragonlord raised without any knowledge of the caste system of his home country.  We also don't know what Morrolan remembers from his mother or the instructions his mother gave to the people who raised him.  For instance, if they knew he was the son of two great warriors and the nephew of another* -- and that he was a noble elf, and everyone knew that elfs were quite good at protecting their borders -- Morrolan might pick up the same ideas about what he should be doing others gave him as a Dragonlord, just not tied to the House, but tied to family.

If we can believe Paarfi, Morrolan didn't know he was a Dragearan till Teldra told him.

>(I suspect that even if there is statistical difference, culture plays a strong role in reinforcing it, enough that it would be hard to tease out what is biology especially within the Empire itself, and finding elfs far enough removed from the culture of the Dragaeran Empire but having clear genetic markers for only one or two houses would be hard.  Except possibly for genetic-Teckla living in the islands, given the numerical difference between Teckla and every other house.)
>

>* And I suspect Lord Adron might have a reputation in the East given his position at the border, while Rollondar might just have been abstracted into the government of the Empire, as Southmoor** wasn't as close to the border, so Rollondar would be acting as general for the Faerie King to the west, not as a Noble of Faerie.
>

>** And I just realized that I don't know if the title for Southmoor was from Morrolan's mother or father.  I assume father simply because I'm assuming any titles in Adron's family went to him and not his sister. Or maybe it was stated in canon, and I don't recall.

The Lyorn Records article on Southmoor says he inherited it from his father.  I don't
know where that's mentioned.

Jerry Friedman