[Dragaera] it's late and i'm a little punchy

Rebecca Harbison via Dragaera dragaera at lists.dragaera.info
Mon Nov 24 10:24:27 PST 2014

One would think Paarfi would have figured it out, having the benefit of
writing from hindsight, even if Paarfi thought Adron thought that was what
he was doing.

Of course, now I have two ideas:

1. Either it was a Y2K bug that didn't account for an Emperor dying without
the Cycle changing.  I don't know what Adron's spell would do if the Orb
itself was having trouble figuring out who should be Emperor, but probably
nothing good.  (My working assumption for Elder Sorcery when it breaks.)  I
suppose the question would be is 'what would have happened if someone
wasn't throwing Elder Sorcery around, given how much energy the Orb filters
every hour of every day'.

2. Adron's spell was built on the assumption that him gaining the Orb would
change the Cycle, and he was wrong.  In which case, the spell would have
failed even if Tortaalik had been alive at the time, and Adron isn't as hot
a wizard as he thought he was.

The problem of Mario killing the Emperor while Adron was casting the spell
might not have done what Adron thought it did, but it might have compounded
an existing uncertainty enough to cause problems. (Either because Adron
thought he had that sort of error, or because all the Elder Sorcery mucking
with the Orb meant it couldn't enter whatever 'Safe Mode' is for magical
artifacts.)

-- Rebecca