[Dragaera] Centuries and Centuries of Dragaeran history and no one has invented a steam engine?

Alexx Kay via Dragaera dragaera at lists.dragaera.info
Mon May 30 10:59:54 PDT 2016

> It also
> seems that Dragaerans learn approximately as fast as Easterners do, so
> another question arises: why isn't every Dragaeran a "renaissance man"
> with
> expert-level qualifications in almost every field?

It may be that there is an upper limit to what the human/Dragaeran brain
can hold.  Dragaerans may learn as fast as humans, but they also forget
stuff as fast.  World-class expertise (in most fields) requires
near-constant practice to maintain.

> 4) Sethra Lavode and the Gods.

This is the answer I go with, though it is certainly incomplete as of yet.
 Especially given that we have a documented surge in magic-tech after the
Interregnum. Paarfi claims that the gods allowed this, but he's hardly the
most reliable source.

Given that the Gods seem to have a... unique relationship to time, it may
be that they already know how/when the Cycle will finally end and/or their
own Halls will be overthrown.  This may tie into their "management" of
tech levels.

Alexx

"Don't think of it as stealing, think of it as creative shopping!"
  -- Aleksandr Yevsha as Pantalone