[Dragaera] Cycle Surpresses Technology

Jonathan Carey, CHRL via Dragaera dragaera at lists.dragaera.info
Mon May 30 19:40:42 PDT 2016

Hmm let me clarify my response:

1) Elder Sorcery is crazy dangerous.  Sorcery is used for basically
everything these days.  But using Elder Sorcery to, say, open a wine bottle
without a feather and tongs is like powering your toddler's toy with
uranium-235.  Sure it's effective, and you can tell yourself that it's
PERFECTLY SAFE all you want, no one will EVER be comfortable letting their
kid play with it.  Because sooner or later, someone's going to work out how
to open the lead battery housing...case in point: Adron.

2) Regular Sorcery isn't amazingly effective at killing Jenoine -- but it
can be done.  Tazendra Lavode did it.  Furthermore, Sorcery is not terrible
defensively either.  Chaos Magic...it's just too risky.  If, instead of
refining their ability to handle Chaos, with the inevitable results
outlined in 1) they used the Chaos to power their advancements in other
sorcery/necromancy etc, that could be a reasonable alternative to Elder
Sorcery.

3) The Empire isn't the Cycle; it's entirely possible that the Imperial
Edict banning the use of Elder Sorcery was just some guy who happened to be
Emperor making a strategic mistake because he wasn't privy to the whole
"ultimate reason for everything" thing.  And the Cycle either chose to, or
wasn't able to, correct the error.  I mean, banning the potential
destruction of the world.  Kind of hard to mind control someone away from
that.

Regards,

Jon Carey, B.A.(Hon), CHRL, CHRP