[Dragaera] books to read while waiting for _Vallista_

Philip Hart via Dragaera dragaera at lists.dragaera.info
Tue Aug 30 23:17:27 PDT 2016

On Wed, 24 Aug 2016, Scott Schultz via Dragaera wrote:

> I'm afraid you're late to the party and most everyone has gone home. The
> mailing list isn't precisely dead but it's pretty much on life support
> these days.

And here I was planning to write another two of my occasional loosely
SKZB-related book reviews.  Well, anyway:

I recently read two books I came across via kindle's recommendations in
part because of SKZB-related blurbs.  Of _Hellspark_'s author, Amazing
Stories says, "[Janet] Kagan does have a dry and effective sense of
humor, of the sort that I enjoy in Steven Brust's books."  Well, I don't
see that - the writer who comes to mind very strongly reading Kagan is
Connie Willis - but _Hellspark_ does have important themes in common with
Dragaera.  The main character is pretty much an Issola trying to solve a
murder, and assorted spoilers.  The novel is worth reading for its
fanciful and poetic worldbuilding and even just the pronunciation of
its title.  I've read the rest of Kagan's works, which are pleasant
with occasional gleams of something more; _Hellspark_ is brightly lit
by flashes of intelligence and creativity.

Hmm, I can't now find a Brust-related blurb for Robin McKinley's
_Sunshine_ (though Gaiman says of it, "Pretty much perfect"), but I
thought a lot about his works while reading it.  Not _Agyar_, with which
it shares some thematic elements, but the parts of the Vladiad about food,
or the food and music parts of _Cowboy Feng_.  Bad things happen, but
people still have to eat, and cooking is really important no matter what.
Or perhaps the narrative voice reminded me of Vlad's musings.  Also the
world building is done in large part assuming the reader is smart, and it
wears its several genre associations lightly.  The novel is very much not
like SKZB in words per event, but I thought its combination of dreaminess,
mundane concerns, and intense emotion made for a sinewy strength.