[Dragaera] Tukko

John Dallman via Dragaera dragaera at lists.dragaera.info
Mon Jan 2 11:08:00 PST 2017

In article
<CANeR+DKe-sW_rTNXQJCOL1w5ron4A4Vq0ogsz5moDHuLL0XRVQ at mail.gmail.com>,
dragaera at lists.dragaera.info (Jonathan Carey, CHRL via Dragaera) wrote:

> _And what of the Gods? Have they done all they can? (Tukko)
> _They can do nothing until the crisis is at hand._ (Sethra)
> _Yes,_ said Tukko. _At which point, no doubt, they will be
> helpless._
> Sethra chuckled.  _That *is* their custom, isn't it? But you know
> they are *more tightly bound than you are*._ [my emphasis]
> _That is as may be, madam,_ said Tukko severely.  _But you know
> that I prefer not to discuss my own condition._

> My take is that Sethra's statement is so obvious (if Tukko were as
> he appears to be, to wit, a mere mortal) that it makes the saying
> pointless, even for Paarfi.

Mortals are not bound, so much as intrinsically limited. It does imply
that he is more than mortal, but not much about how.

> The comparison of Tukko to the Gods only makes sense if Tukko is,
> was, or had the potential to be, one of their ranks.

While that is a possibility, it is not the only one. He is something that
can be bound, and is not happy about the fact that he is bound, but
that's all that we can say for sure.

> he is probably similar to Sethra in at least one regard: ie, that
> he could be a God, but chose not to be, because he, like Sethra,
> did not wish to be constrained in whatever way the Gods are.

That could be, but "probably" is overstating it in my opinion. He could
be a Jenoine, for example, or undead, or a Dragaeran who somehow acquired
a very long, perhaps indefinite, lifespan in exchange for some condition
of service or other bond.

John Dallman, jgd at cix.co.uk