[Dragaera] Tukko

Scott Schultz via Dragaera dragaera at lists.dragaera.info
Tue Jan 3 15:36:16 PST 2017

I find it noteworthy that the Tukko described by Paarfi bears almost no
resemblance to the Tukko that is perceived by Vlad.

It's tempting to simply dismiss this as an example of Paarfi's typical
over-eloquence and tendency to elaborate about things that he theoretically
has no way of objectively verifying, whereas Vlad's narrative style is more
typically objective and coldly factual.

It raises the question, though: Does Sethra/Paarfi -the-narrator perceive
Tukko differently because she has knowledge of his true natre, or is it
because every person who encounters Tukko perceives him according to his or
her own personal capacity to perceive him?

Vlad is the sort who would never question his own perception of "Sethra's
odd servant". Tukko wouldn't be the average topic of conversation for guests
at Dzur Mountain. I could easily imagine Vlad going years, even decades,
without ever having cause to wonder about it enough to ask Morollan or
Aliera, "How do you perceive that person standing over there with the tray
of drinks?"

It would be interesting to learn whether Vlad's seemingly contradictory
account of Tukko is so because *every* person's account of him would seem to
contradict every other person's perception of him.