[Dragaera] Dragaera Digest, Vol 116, Issue 3

Scott Schultz via Dragaera dragaera at lists.dragaera.info
Wed Jan 4 14:46:14 PST 2017

> re: Tukko and how others may perceive him differently.
>
> I think this would be excellent evidence for the argument that Tukko is a
god,
> or ex-god, or god-like being

I'm inclined towards "god-like being".

Something keeps the Jenoine out of Dragaera, and possibly out of Vlad's
entire universe. We've been told that the Halls of Judgement, the Paths of
the Dead, the Cycle, and even the Empire form a complex tapestry that
somehow works to keep the Jenoine barred from manifesting on Dragaera.

None of those things existed before Verra led the revolt that resulted in
the creation of the Gods, the formation of the Tribes, and the death or
expulsion of the Jenoine.

Basing some speculation entirely upon the interaction between Tukko and
Sethra in which each of them claims to be older than the other and neither
seems to know definitively the actual case, I suggest that Dzur Mountain
represents a prototype of the Halls of Judgement and that Tukko may actually
be the first "God". I put that in quotes because his state of being is
different from Deity, in that he is bound to a place; whereas the Gods are
more ephemerally each bound to an Idea or a Symbol that represents a complex
idea. A God does not simply "like" the symbol she/he/it is bound to,
she/he/it is the living embodiment of that Symbol.

Similar to Tukko and Sethra (at least in reference to each other) the Gods
have trouble with time. They live outside of time and, therefore, are not
always aware of how time is passing in the plane of reality we call
Dragaera. If they want to know the state of the Cycle, they don't depend on
their memories; they actively check the Cycle and ask it where it's
currently pointing. Verra has "premonitions" without knowing exactly what
they refer to or when they might occur or if they'll occur at all. This
helps clarify Sethra's judgement that the Gods cannot act until the moment
of crisis is at hand, and Tukko's disparaging rejoinder that, "as usual",
the Gods will find themselves helpless to do anything useful.

It's probably difficult to act in the best interests of the universe if
you're never sure that you're acting at the right time or taking the action
called for by the current state of the timeline instead of mistakenly
reacting to something else that hasn't happened or that already happened.

;tldr - Tukko may be the first example of a "God", though he suffers fewer
limitations and conversely a more limited sphere of action, due to his being
a more "general" sort of prototype "God" than those that came after him.