[Dragaera] Dragaera Fan Fiction - Dragaera/Sherlock Holmes mashup

Jon via Dragaera dragaera at lists.dragaera.info
Fri Jun 16 20:26:10 PDT 2017

Hello all,

Please pardon my shameless plug for a piece of Dragaera fan-fiction I
have written. However I realize that there is a very limited audience
for such a work, and most of the people who are capable of appreciating
it are probably on this mailing list; thus I figured this would be a
good place to inflic-- er, release it.

A URL location to the work itself can be found here for those who are
interested:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B996OzxxyS2DaFg1STVEdTBNVjg/view?usp=sharing

I was inspired earlier this year while watching the latest season of
Sherlock, and it got me thinking; "What would a Sherlock Holmes story
look like if written by a Dragaeran living in Vlad's time?"

Such a question, having been asked, demanded an answer. Alas, I realized
that the only was I was likely to see such a thing would be to write it
myself. It was not my original intention to write a tale of over 40
pages, but that turned out to be how long the story required to tell, so
I make no apologies.

In spite of my original inspiration, I've tried to make the story read
more like one of Conan-Doyle's original Sherlock Holmes stories, rather
than any of the recent modern adaptations. Having a familiarity with the
original works may be useful in helping one appreciate some of the
mannerisms in the narrative quality, I suppose, but I like to think it's
able to stand on its own merits.

It is set shortly after the events of /Hawk/, although it does not
feature any characters directly that the reader will be heretofore
familiar with (save one minor figure from /Tiassa/ for those savvy
enough to catch the reference).

Be advised, there are plot points that could be described as spoilers
for /Hawk/, /Dzur/ and /Iorich/ present. For those interested in what
"might have been happening behind the scenes" of these more recent Vlad
tales, I submit this as a speculative possibility. The tale should make
sense even to someone who hasn't read those specific works, though I do
assume the reader will have a fairly good working knowledge of Dragaera
in general.

If you are so inclined, please let me know if you find it entertaining.
If you hate it, I'd probably just as soon not know about it--but I
thought there might be some here who would find it interesting.