[Dragaera] Dragaera Fan Fiction - Dragaera/Sherlock Holmes mashup

Gibbons, Mark via Dragaera dragaera at lists.dragaera.info
Sat Jun 17 09:28:44 PDT 2017

Thanks,  fun read.

On 6/16/17, 8:26 PM, "Dragaera on behalf of Jon via Dragaera" <dragaera-bounces at lists.dragaera.info on behalf of dragaera at lists.dragaera.info> wrote:

    Hello all,

    Please pardon my shameless plug for a piece of Dragaera fan-fiction I
    have written. However I realize that there is a very limited audience
    for such a work, and most of the people who are capable of appreciating
    it are probably on this mailing list; thus I figured this would be a
    good place to inflic-- er, release it.

    A URL location to the work itself can be found here for those who are
    interested:

    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B996OzxxyS2DaFg1STVEdTBNVjg/view?usp=sharing

    I was inspired earlier this year while watching the latest season of
    Sherlock, and it got me thinking; "What would a Sherlock Holmes story
    look like if written by a Dragaeran living in Vlad's time?"

    Such a question, having been asked, demanded an answer. Alas, I realized
    that the only was I was likely to see such a thing would be to write it
    myself. It was not my original intention to write a tale of over 40
    pages, but that turned out to be how long the story required to tell, so
    I make no apologies.

    In spite of my original inspiration, I've tried to make the story read
    more like one of Conan-Doyle's original Sherlock Holmes stories, rather
    than any of the recent modern adaptations. Having a familiarity with the
    original works may be useful in helping one appreciate some of the
    mannerisms in the narrative quality, I suppose, but I like to think it's
    able to stand on its own merits.

    It is set shortly after the events of /Hawk/, although it does not
    feature any characters directly that the reader will be heretofore
    familiar with (save one minor figure from /Tiassa/ for those savvy
    enough to catch the reference).

    Be advised, there are plot points that could be described as spoilers
    for /Hawk/, /Dzur/ and /Iorich/ present. For those interested in what
    "might have been happening behind the scenes" of these more recent Vlad
    tales, I submit this as a speculative possibility. The tale should make
    sense even to someone who hasn't read those specific works, though I do
    assume the reader will have a fairly good working knowledge of Dragaera
    in general.

    If you are so inclined, please let me know if you find it entertaining.
    If you hate it, I'd probably just as soon not know about it--but I
    thought there might be some here who would find it interesting.