[Dragaera] Teldra meeting Noish-pa? <MINOR TSALMOTH SPOILERS>

JON LINCICUM lincicum at comcast.net
Mon Aug 28 14:40:19 PDT 2023

Spoiler space

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
> On 08/28/2023 1:46 PM PDT corey+scratchfactory.com via Dragaera <dragaera at lists.dragaera.info> wrote:
>

> Something in Tsalmoth has me wondering about one of my favourite moments in Phoenix.
>
> In Phoenix, Vlad brings Noish-pa to Castle Black and Teldra greets him in a way that makes it seem like they have never met before. But in Tsalmoth, we are told that they met during Vlad and Cawti’s wedding procession and in fact hit it off famously.
>
> Thoughts? Is Teldra’s greeting in Phoenix just excessive formality (not that Teldra would ever be anything but “exactly correct formal”)? Is there some secret misalignment here around Vlad’s disturbed memories? Is there any reason Vlad might be lying about either of these episodes?
>
> Anyway I’m curious.
>
> Corey

The encounter in /Phoenix/ is vague enough for there to be some wiggle-room, I'd say.

Teldra does not need to be introduced to Noish-Pa, so she knows who he is when he arrives. So it's still plausible she recognizes him from their earlier meeting. Her greeting does indicate that Noish-Pa has never visited Castle Black previously, but that does not necessarily imply that she hadn't ever met him.

Noish-Pa's reaction to her greeting does seem like he doesn't recognize Teldra... But that could be just that he doesn't immediately reconcile this gracious host in front of him in the courtyard at Castle Black with that one Dragaeran woman he met briefly, once, and years earlier in a very different context at his grandson's wedding--where he'd maybe had a bit more to drink than he normally would have?

On top of that, he's a 60-something year old man who has just had his house burned down in a riot, killed a Phoenix Guard, and gone through his very first teleport, so he's not exactly at the top of his game.