[Dragaera] Big-ish Problems, also a light sploier.

S. Hall incubusyouth at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 4 23:30:37 PDT 2006

>From: tom sausman <inuyashadontask at netscape.net>
>To: Dragaera list <dragaera at dragaera.info>
>Subject: [Dragaera] Big-ish Problems, also a light sploier.
>Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2006 23:54:42 -0400
>
>Look just do not read if you did not read the books such as the
>Five-book-volume ( dare to debate it Send me a e-mail and will tell you
>my reasony), Dragon, and Taltos, and maybe the one where Vlad goes cross
>the seas.

not sure what the hell you're talking about here (5-book volume? the
romances? or the Vlad tales? oh well) but ill try to answer these questions.
however, you have serious reading comprehension problems

>                         I recently re-read the Vlad Taltos novels
>because I am a very forgetful person, and I choose _Dragon_ b/c it was
>the first one I ever read and the best to my heart.But and please bear
>with the vagueness for a minute, near the begining Vlad is talking to a
>"box" (for apperently their are a great of them) that he is telling it
>"something" (story,reipe fro klava, but it is only Vlad speaking) and
>this is before the battle, which Vlad never mention Cawti ( if he did
>please tell me). The "witch" of the swords Cawti is there.... ABOUT
>three years after that is retelling this story to a "box"
>                     1)When does the three/two"things" (like why didn't
>he mention Cawti before the battle, and where is he three years after
>the battle) take place, roughly time period (between Iossla but before
>Yendi, explain)

im not exactly getting what you're saying here either, but i think you're
talking about the time jumps in Dragon? thats easy, he was reliving the
memories of the battles and what happened back then while telling them to
the box, yet he was also including us in what was going on currently
(Steve's way of keeping people happy with whats going on currently and
widening the spectrum of things while still providing a backstory)

>I still say Daymar is a witch because on page 99 ( chapter 10, I got
>that big book),
>
> > Daymar's an expert with psionics, which is a bit different than
> > witchcraft.
> > Witchcraft involves you using rituals and a familiar to guide your
> > inner energy
> > to achieve effects. Psionics is pretty much concentrating very hard on
> > something and it works. If you stop concentrating, Bad Things happen.
>
>  Vlad just trace a line from the knife to rune and a  fame started.

that would be a ritual. they're big, small, really lack a point except to
focus the energy (find and read the snipit on mystical numbers in one of the
books if that will help you understand it all)

>           On (big book again, sorry) page 96 of Tatlos, Morrolan clearly
>stated that he fought the biragand at the top of deathgates while Zerika
>made are descent. BUT in _the Paths of the Dead_ page 326 ( is when
>Zerika plunged) and Morrolan was nowhere to be had... I believe Lady
>Tedlera (sorry no word bank over here) had just found after the bangits
>attacked Blackchapel.

Go check out how old some of the books are (at least 20 years I believe).
The story will change in Steve's head from time-to-time. I'm betting he was
planning on using Morrolan when Zerika went over the edge, but had to change
the story around as he was writing it so as to keep things smooth, like
keeping Morrolan from being in 2 places at once or having him fight a random
battle when there is another he should (and would be, since he's a Dragon)
fighting

>              Does anyone recalled being any Cat-Centaurs in the
>Romances, and not just in miths?

I personally dont, but hey, the Plains are HUGE. They're called the Plains
of Forever for a reason (no book so im guessing on the name but it's
something like that)

>               If someone has that two-stories-in-one-book too and has
>some free time please re-read the bottom part of page 91 in _Tatlos_ and
>the top of 92 where is Vlad "lighting the mood" when Morrolan had it,
>and why did he and Mist shook their heads sadly. Also why was Vlad
>laughting too, and made fun at their weapons when clearly knew they were
>real?

Im not really sure what you're asking here, but that would be Vlad's sense
of humor and probably being incredibly scared so he says something stupid
(remember the interview with Sethra and Morrolan earlier on in that book?)

>            Mario Greymist, I believe the legend (I hope you know what I
>refer to) of the name is false:
>                       1)Before the Intergunm he was:
>                                     Navie
>                                      Arrogrant
>                                     A "rookie" so to speak
>                                     He couldn't have killed that many
>people and still be that
>                         2) The reasons above is why he was chosen to
>kill the Empireor ( he was pawn, easy to use and disposed if he killed
>so many they would in trun fear him), and THAT was stupid ( Altough it
>was more of Aliera who presuded him to do it wasn't), look what came of it.
>            I believe that repesents how himself escaped the paths/ went
>in to look for Aliera since he asked Sethra and the valley and thus the
>name.
>              (Was Mario Greymist the his name before the Intergunm, b/c
>that wouldn't make sense)

Mario goes into the Paths to look for Aliera? wth? Granted, the romances
aren't exactly my favorite works (they rank under Teckla and Pheonix for me)
but I dont remember anything like that coming up. Besides, it's been 200+
years since he killed the Emperor, lots of people die everyday ;)

>                     Does Aliera think nothing of the crossbreeding thing
>bad b/c her mother is a god? I mean why Mario?

Are Mario's genes ever mentioned? Maybe he has more Dragon genes than
anything else? She does say that Jhereg genes formed because there was
enough of the mix for so long that they developed their own pattern (for
lack of a better word), also, she has memories from when the tribes were
formed, she remembers Dolivar forming the Jheregs, and it's mentioned that
they were mostly Dragons (at least in the beginning)

So while I'm sure you have many more questions, I hope this helped at least
somewhat. You have to remember, Steve is human: we love the books so much
because all the work he's put into them has made them come alive in our
minds, there is so much detail, yet unlike some writers (thankfully, who can
write 2 pages on the reflection on a spoon) the books arent bogged down with
unneccasary things. The small changes from book to book (like Taltos to Lord
of Castle Black, or was it Sethra Lavode? Im not sure) where Morrolan says
one thing and another happened, seem to be because he cant fit it in there
without being forced to rewrite the entire story