[Dragaera] Ardon's Keep

Scott Schultz scott at cjhunter.com
Fri Aug 18 12:32:35 PDT 2006

>            But Adron only had good intentions for the Empire, and in
>Yendi, I believe, the idea of takin over was put into his head by
>Sethra the Younger. In addition it would have work if it were not
>for Aliera and Greycat.

"Hell is paved with good intentions." - Samuel Johnson

Whether his intentions were for good or ill, Adron was a rebel. That's all
that mattered as far as the Empire was concerned. The only justification
would be if he succeeded, since that would prove that the Cycle had turned.
That fact that he not only failed, but failed so spectacularly that he
destroyed the capital and the Empire into the bargain would, in my opinion,
outweigh any leeway he might be given on the basis of his intentions.

As for Adron's intentions, keep in mind that Paarfi is a single viewpoint
and one that is biased in favor of Adron. If you go back through the Vlad
books and examine the things that Sethra and Aliera have to say about the
Disaster, you'll find that Adron's REAL motivations appear rather less
benign.

>I can't believe Sethra would let that happen to a friends keep.

I think you credit Sethra with too much political power. Remember that until
Tortaalik recalled her, she had been officially banned from court. Likewise,
while Sethra probably counts Aliera as a friend, it's not so clear that she
thought of Adron in that fashion. In any case, it's a matter of Imperial
policy. Unless you imagine Sethra sitting on the front stoop of Redface
brandishing Iceflame at all comers, there isn't a lot she could do to
prevent it.

Looked at another way - During the Interregnum Sethra was focussed on
preserving what was left of the Empire, fending off the Jenoine, and
preparing for the attempt to recover the Orb. After the Interregnum, she'd
be focussed on creating as stable a government as possible, meaning that she
wouldn't be causing a ruckus about a province whose previous owners were all
presumed dead and which needed a lord running it in case the Easterners
tried to take advantage of the Empire's weakness to launch an invasion.
Friendship can only get you so far, especially when the friend is dead.

>That could have had happen, but wouldn't you think Aliera would and
>knowing Aliera start a pirvate war, of one if she had to, just to re-claim
it.

I would only see Aliera doing something like this if she felt that she had
just cause. If there was no injustice to set right or if she just didn't
feel like being bothered with the responsibility (which seems like its well
within the realm of possibility) then she wouldn't bother.

>This also wouldn't explain why she is always over Morrolan castle,
>they are continuously fighting.

*heh* Fighting all the time is what Dragons do. It doesn't mean they dislike
each other.  In fact, Vlad pretty well covered that bit of their
relationship during his hissy-cow towards the end of _Issola_. Aliera and
Sethra are great friends, yet Aliera was challenging Sethra to a duel every
third chapter of _Five Hundred Years After_.

I'd forgotten that Lake Szurke was near Eastmanswatch. Maybe we WILL get a
chance to find out what's been going on around that area in the next book or
two.