[Dragaera] Ardon's Keep

tom sausman inuyashadontask at netscape.net
Fri Aug 18 23:12:28 PDT 2006

>As for Adron's intentions, keep in mind that Paarfi is a single viewpoint and one that is biased in favor of Adron. If you go back through the Vlad books and examine the things that Sethra and Aliera have to say about the Disaster, you'll find that Adron's REAL motivations appear rather less benign.

                Isn't it the job and duty of a historian to tell a
non-biased idea, theory, and opinion tale, account and such?

>I think you credit Sethra with too much political power. Remember that until Tortaalik recalled her, she had been officially banned from court. Likewise, while Sethra probably counts Aliera as a friend, it's not so clear that she thought of Adron in that fashion. In any case, it's a matter of Imperial policy. Unless you imagine Sethra sitting on the front stoop of Redface brandishing Iceflame at all comers, there isn't a lot she could do to prevent it.

                   One does not need to be political to have "political
power". All that power she has just laying around, she IS the
army-of-one ( Taltos).

>Looked at another way - During the Interregnum Sethra was focussed on preserving what was left of the Empire, fending off the Jenoine, and preparing for the attempt to recover the Orb. After the Interregnum, she'd be focussed on creating as stable a government as possible, meaning that she wouldn't be causing a ruckus about a province whose previous owners were all presumed dead and which needed a lord running it in case the Easterners tried to take advantage of the Empire's weakness to launch an invasion.
>Friendship can only get you so far, especially when the friend is dead.

                Clearly I wasn't saying that a Keep would be number one
poirity.

>I would only see Aliera doing something like this if she felt that she had just cause. If there was no injustice to set right or if she just didn't feel like being bothered with the responsibility (which seems like its well within the realm of possibility) then she wouldn't bother.

   Come now, you can't Aliera getting inraged at some no name taking
over her father, the man she admired and is so proud of, and than
re-claiming it?

>heh* Fighting all the time is what Dragons do. It doesn't mean they dislike
>each other.  In fact, Vlad pretty well covered that bit of their
>relationship during his hissy-cow towards the end of _Issola_. Aliera and
>Sethra are great friends, yet Aliera was challenging Sethra to a duel every

 Alright you got me here, it was a weak arguement to begin with but it
made the whole look bigger.

                     -Tom Sausman, fellow Dsylexian-