[Dragaera] List settings

Damien Sullivan phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Mon Aug 28 21:39:34 PDT 2006

On Tue, Aug 29, 2006 at 01:00:10PM +0900, Ben Hiles wrote:

> I'm sure I've seen the answer to this before, but I don't see anything
> in the archives.  Why isn't there a reply-to list header?  I know in
> my experience I'd almost always rather reply to the list rather than
> the sender, and it is a slight annoyance to change the header, or to

I agree, but the list-owner disagrees, and that's pretty much that.
There's no lack of prior arguments on the topic.

I've noted that the Mailman list software recommends against setting
Reply-to to the list, though every other list I've been on which could
set Reply-to has done so.  There seems to be a strongly held theory that
this is the Right Way, though as I said, not one I've often seen in
practice, nor one I enjoy here.

In my case I use mutt, so having defined the list address, I can reply
to the list by using the 'L' command.  Or one could use group-reply,
thus annoying the person you're replying to by sending extra copies.
(Or maybe a different copy; one reply to my message came to my general
inbox and not my list inbox; clearly I got a single copy, somehow
lacking the list header I use for sorting.)

-xx- Damien X-)