[Dragaera] [Dzur Spoiler] Another terribly amusing Speculation

Jon Lincicum lincicum at comcast.net
Mon Sep 11 18:22:39 PDT 2006

Davdi Silverrock wrote:
> On 9/11/06, Jon Lincicum wrote:
>
>> Davdi Silverrock wrote:

>>> Now I wonder if perhaps Mario was perhaps involved in training up
>>> other skilled assassins.  Like, say, the Sword of the Jhereg.  Which
>>> would give him another reason to become involved in the South
>>> Adrilankha issue.
>>>

>> If this were the case, one would wonder why Aliera was having so much
>> trouble tracking down Norathar leading up to /Yendi/?
>>

> A: "Why didn't you *tell* me that your [former] apprentice was the
> e'Lanya Heir?!?"
> M: "Well, first of all, I never knew, and second of all, you never asked!"

Good point.

Pointing that out would be likely to get him smacked, though.

> Well, I guess in this scenario, Mario trained Norathar before he
> partnered with Kragar.
> Cawti might have been secondarily-trained by Norathar.

I suppose that's possible. It *does* seem like Norathar to seek out the
best at her newly-chosen profession in order to perfect her craft.

Hmm... Suppose Norathar was the "mutual friend" who introduced Kragar to
Mario? As a newly disgraced Dragon, Kragar wouldn't have had a lot of
friends, and Norathar might have felt sympathy for his situation.
(Especially, if, as some have speculated, Kragar is actually a
crossbreed of some kind.)
> Or alternatively, Mario, cagey fellow that he is, keeps his
> assassin-trainees separate, for whatever reason.

"Whatever reason"... How about common sense? After all, these people
would be competing for work with one another, and they would also be
trained to kill...

> Hm. Wasn't Kragar was the one who told Vlad that the Sword & Dagger
> were after him?

Well, yes, but I see no reason to doubt that this info came through the
"Laris Friend" that set them up, as explained in the book. Since it was
a key part of SiG's plan to off Norathar, having it come from "Kragar's
insider knowledge" would actually undermine some perfectly good /Yendi/
plot points.