[Dragaera] "Work" and money

Davdi Silverrock davdisil at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 14:58:56 PDT 2006

On 10/13/06, Michele Riccio wrote:
> On 12 Oct 2006 at 14:49, Philip Hart wrote
> >
> > On Thu, 12 Oct 2006, Davdi Silverrock wrote:
> >
> > > Proper credit: That is, you [Philip] suggested debts, Michele
> > > suggested charities.
>
> thanks!  I love credit.  Can I spend it anywhere?

Maybe Valabar's?

> > Vlad ought to be aware of where the money went, I think - and
> > if was to charities, he should I think find her evolution as
> > revealed in _T_ easier to accept.
>
> Perhaps not.  Vlad may have come over all old-fashioned
> breadwinner after they got married and told Cawti that her money
> was hers to do what she wished.  She, in turn, decided to give it to
> a worthy cause (and discovered Kelly along the way).  Vlad, having
> said the money was hers, couldn't really question her as to what
> she'd done with it - or if he did, would probably be satisfied with
> "gave it to charities".

It doesn't even require that. Consider that (intelligent) Jhereg are
naturally reticent about their deeds, and income related to those
deeds.  Externally, Vlad is presumably a modest and not particularly
successful businessman (I would guess from the description of their
house is that it would appear to be on the lower side of lower-middle
class).  Internal to the Organization, he's presumably got enough
socked away that he could probably buy a very comfortable estate for
his retirement (since he now has one by Imperial decree, well, maybe
he'll buy a summer estate).

Anyway, I would guess that Vlad is simply not in the habit of
divulging a whole lot about the state of his own finances, and doesn't
do a whole lot of asking about the finances of those he cares for,
either.  And Cawti would presumably be the same way. Each of them
probably suspects a lot about the state of the other's finances, but
might very well not know for sure.