[Dragaera] Vlad: son/not son of Verra?

Jon Lincicum lincicum at comcast.net
Sun Oct 22 23:03:44 PDT 2006

Davdi Silverrock wrote:

> Context for newbies:  It has been speculated that Vlad is actually
> Verra's son.  There is absolutely no textual or external evidence for
> this (that is, SKZB has neither confirmed nor denied this
> speculation).  I presume people are just going by a few misinterpreted
> phrases here and there (like Devera referring to "Uncle" Vlad), and
> perhaps some general hint of odd chemistry in the interaction between
> VtDG & VT.
>
> See also:  http://dragaera.wikia.com/wiki/Speculation:Vlad_Taltos#Vlad.27s_Mother
>
> So Jon is a pro-Vlad-is-Verra's-son, and I know that Mark Mandel,
> despite his intermittent participation, is also very much in favor of
> the idea.  So that's two votes in favor.

I'm not sure if I'm "in favor" of it, so much as I have a deep suspicion
that it is true. There are a great many things that fall into place
about the Vlad/Verra (also Vlad/Aliera, Vlad/Sethra, and Vlad/Devera)
relationships if it is true--and no compelling evidence that it is not
the case.

Indeed, every major objection to why it wouldn't work seems to have a
rather carefully inserted counter-example elsewhere in the Dragaera books.

To the left, Steve has stated in interviews how he hates stories where
everything gets tied up in neat little packages--this might fall into
that category... It just seems like he's very carefully left himself
enough space around Vlad's parentage and his relationship with Verra to
have all *sorts* of things be possible.

Would Verra as Vlad's mother be a "good" plot point? Is it something
that I "want to see" in the books? I'm not sure. Only if it makes for a
good story, I suppose.

About all I know for certain is that I do want some of the questions
concerning Vlad's mother answered at some point... And I definitely want
to see how the whole Vlad/Verra thing plays out.
> I think it's all apophenia, myself, and vote absolutely not.

apophenia, noun:

   1. The perception of connectedness among seemingly unrelated phenomena.

I think that has to be the word of the day. :-)