[Dragaera] Devera, godhood, Kieron speculation

Philip Hart philiph at slac.stanford.edu
Thu Oct 26 14:25:33 PDT 2006

On Thu, 26 Oct 2006, Davdi Silverrock wrote:

> On 10/26/06, Gibbons, Mark wrote:
> >
> > Is Devera a full blooded Dragon? Aliera is reported to be the daughter of Verra [&c]
>
> I should clarify my assertion:  From the point of view of Dragaerans
> in the Empire, and the Dragon Council, Aliera (and Devera) are
> sufficiently close to being full-blooded Dragons that their own
> stringent rules on Dragaeran & House Dragon genetic purity are
> satisfied.  Thus, Devera is a Dragon, and not a Dragon-Jhereg
> crossbreed.

I'm inclined to think that Aliera is uncontroversially genetically Dragon
in the sense that she has genes D_0, ..., D_n in good condition and does
not have proscribed genes G_0, ..., G_m (mostly I imagine Yendi markers).
If she has other non-Dragon genes, or significant extragenetic information
or structures  (divine nanogenes or nanobots in her blood, for example)
the tests might not be sensitive.  I tend to think she has a bog-standard
e'Kieron genome plus extranuclear surprises.

I'm disinclined to think that Devera has a normal genome by any standard.