[Dragaera] Dragaeran Publication Date of _Five HundredYearsAfter_

Scott Schultz scott at cjhunter.com
Thu Oct 26 14:43:14 PDT 2006

>My inference of anger is based on this reasoning: even if Paarfi
>received some information from Aliera, that information would be given
>in confidence, and its disclosure would be in breach of that
>confidence.

I can't see anybody who was familiar with Paarfi's works thinking that he
would keep anything in confidence. Paarfi views himself as an historian and
the job of the historian is to relate history, even if he gives it a focus
on entertainment rather than hard facts.

In my view, Paarfi would never have even left any doubt about it. He'd
approach her initially because she is one of a handful of survivors of the
Disaster and quite probably the only one who could accurately inform him
about the state of the Court, the conditions surrounding the death of
Tortaalik, and the motivations of Adron. I don't see Aliera trusting
Paarfi's discretion and whispering secrets into his ear only to find her
trust betrayed. I see her taking advantage of an enthusiastic listener and
pumping him full of white lies about the nobility of her father, the
corruption of Tortaalik, and the high regard that everyone had for her
personally. I see her reading _Five Hundred Years After_, steepling her
fingers and whispering "Excellennnnttttt!"

If she comes off as a highly skilled investigator, the most beautiful woman
at Court, the strongest and most ingenious plotter who was instrumental in
removing Tortaalik (however unfortunate the consequences of it), so much the
better. I see that improving her reputation, assuming a fearsome reputation
is what you want. She IS a Dragon, after all. You'd expect her to be
forceful in both life and love.

In any case, her agenda would be the white-washing of Adron from a
power-hungry conqueror who was willing to go one step too far in his attempt
to usurp the Throne or even break the Cycle, into an idealist who was forced
into action by a corrupt and ineffective liege. Whatever Paarfi wrote about
her personally would simply be something to snicker about with her friends
and possibly provide an excuse for some duels should anyone be foolish
enough to comment about it in front of her.