[Dragaera] Dragaeran Publication Date of _FiveHundredYearsAfter_

Scott scott at cjhunter.com
Fri Oct 27 07:52:01 PDT 2006

>Blink.  This *is* Aliera "Kill them all and worry about the pieces
>afterwards" e'Kieron we're talking about here.  While Dragons may be
>capable of subtlety when necessary, I just don't see Aliera, as she
>has been portrayed so far, of having the deep foresight and planning
>to pull that off.

I'm not really suggesting a Yendi-like plot aforethought on Aliera's part.
More likely, she never gave it a thought until the invitation to speak with
Paarfi arrived. Given the opportunity, she simply skewed things in favor of
her father and herself.

I'd agree it's a "grey-wash", but that would be enough for Aliera's goals.
After all, when someone revolts and then fails as spectacularly as Adron
did, there are limits to what you can accomplish public relations-wise.
Aliera wouldn't be trying to exonerate her father. I'd think she'd be
satisfied with accomplishing what Paarfi does, indeed, try to accomplish -
the portrayal of Adron as an honorable, albeit somewhat misguided idealist
who truly believes that he is attempting to do the "right thing". Aerich is
dead, so we can't really know at this point regarding his time spent with
Adron or what actually transpired during those few weeks together prior to
the Disaster.

Now, at least amongst her friends, Aliera has her typical arrogant
conviction that whatever her father did was right and justified and to Hell
with what anyone else thinks. There's certainly a supportable rationale for
the belief that she wouldn't give a hang what Paarfi or his readers would
think either. It sort of comes down to how she'd want the general populace
to remember her father and how far she'd go in order to influence that
memory.

I don't have my books to hand, but I'm reasonably certain that _The Phoenix
Guards_, while it's the first Paarfi book that WE had the opportunity to
read, is not even close to the first book published in Paarfi's career. He
had a *ahem* reputation prior to attempting to find a publisher for _The
Phoenix Guards_. The afterword of _Sethra Lavode_ probably illustrates why.