[Dragaera] Crack among the killed gods? (Dzur Spoiler)

Maximilian Wilson wilson.max at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 09:07:07 PST 2007

On 2/2/07, James Griffin <umbraenoctis at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, but remember, even the LoJ have their limits: (Dzur Spoiler, so see
> below at the ####) which may account for the way the elfs (Dragaerans) view

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
> ####
>

> In Dzur, Verra tells Vlad that she cannot (not won't, but can NOT) directly
> interfere with one of the Great Houses, so she has to use indirect means-
> Telnan's dream, instead of directly confronting the Left Hand, or providing
> Vlad with a shield of divine protection or some such.

I'm not sure there's a distinction between "can't" and "won't" in this
situation. "Can't" doesn't always mean "couldn't even if I wanted to."
Sometimes it just means "it conflicts with something I want more."

"If I were to walk into a house filled with Sorceresses of the Left
Hand, all determined to kill me, could you protect me?"
"I can't interfere with internal matters of one of the Great Houses."
"Great."
"At least, not directly."
She smiled, did the Goddess.

This has the sound of "politically impossible" and/or "I'm not willing
to go that far for you, Vlad" rather than "metaphysics prevent me."
Miss Manners, whom we know Steve adores, encourages readers who
decline an invitation (say to a party) and are pressed for an
explanation never to make one up ("I'm washing my hair that night")
since that invites rebuttal. Instead, simply say, "I'm afraid it's
simply impossible," and keep repeating that in variations until the
person gives up and accepts your decision. It sounds to me like Verra
is willing to help Vlad, but not willing to start a civil war to do
so. He's not *that* important to her.

~Max Wilson

--
Be pretty if you are, be witty if you can,
But be cheerful if it kills you.

Everything in Windows is very simple, but the simplest thing is difficult.
    -Clausewitz