[Dragaera] Easterner Peasants, Teckla or not Teckla? (Mild Dzur Spoilage)

Jon Lincicum lincicum at comcast.net
Sun Feb 18 19:15:08 PST 2007

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17

Davdi Silverrock wrote:
> In browsing through /Dzur/, I noticed Ricard mentioning that his
> family had worked the lands of Lady Drenta, within 20 miles of
> Adrilankha.  There's also the old oishka-drinker, who had been kicked
> by a mare, who had formerly worked the lands of one Lord Cerulin.
>
> I didn't think much about it the first time through, but now I
> suddenly realized: Does that not mean that they had sworn fealty to
> their respective lords, and become Teckla, and therefore had links to
> the Orb?  Or was there some other sort of deal made?  Did the
> Easterners refuse to swear, thinking it beneath their dignity, or
> because it included limits on their freedom that they thought too
> severe?  Did the lords just agree to this odd nonstandard labor
> arrangement?

Given that Ric is not living on her lands, I think it's safe to conclude
that his family was contract or seasonal laborers.

Kinda like seasonal migrant workers in the United States, I would suppose.

Is this "nonstandard" in Dragaera? Or perhaps it's generally difficult
to find full-time serfs so close to a major city, and so this sort of
practice is quite common?

Anyway, I realize it's completely circumstantial, but the fact that he's
living in the Easterner's Ghetto nearly convinces me that he likely does
*not* have a link to the Orb, any more than Noish-Pa does.

> It just seems odd to me that Miklos became a Teckla, and learned
> enough sorcery to do some pretty effective stuff in just a few years,
> and yet here these Easterners, as best we can tell, have no sorcery at
> all, and yet might have Orb links.
>
> Anyway, something to think about.

Miklos was a prince, with a pretty extensive education. Paresh was not..
While that may not have included sorcery, per se, we have seen evidence
that much of sorcery depends on knowledge of physics.Thus, Miklos'
general eduction could explain a great deal of how he was able to become
a pretty fair sorcerer in just a few years. (Also, however, note that he
fails miserably when going up against Sandor--who probably had no more
sorcerous education than Miklos, but had a long time to practice.)

Bear in mind that Mikos is an Easterner, and they learn faster than
Dragaerans (like Paresh, or Savn's paener) do. (Perhaps this explains
how Morrolan was able to learn so much of sorcery so quickly? He still
thinks like an Easterner?)

It's stated in /Athyra/ that most Teckla can do at least some sorcery...
Making lights, casting pest-elimination spells, and so forth. What might
an individual with Miklos' general education be able to do with a little
practice?