[Dragaera] Crack in Palace [spolier]

Davdi Silverrock davdisil at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 22:35:58 PDT 2007

On 7/4/07, inuyashadontask wrote:

> ??????? First. When did "Brokedown Palace" get re-publish?

September 2006

> ??????? Second. The crack in Brokedown Palace, no pun indeeded,
> is that there is a two year time jump.

I think you misunderstood the timing.  Everything that you describe -
the dragon, the Countess arriving, etc - are meant to be taking place
shortly before Miklos makes his way back into Fenario, not immediately
after he departs.

> ?????? Third. What is with the reoccuring?disillusionment of the
> characters about the palace through another eyes?

"disillusionment" means "no longer having illusion".  You probably
meant to use the word "illusion" here.

And as for the answer to the actual question, well, no-one really
knows, except possibly SKZB, and he has not given an answer.  But it
probably has something to do with magic, if it is not in fact
something allegorical, or just a storytelling device.

> ?????? Fourth. The building, why is it so... "decaying?"

Good question.  Again, no-one really knows, and Steve has not said,
but it probably has something to do with magic.

More specifically, it probably has something to do with the Demon
Goddess, and the fact that the palace is dedicated to her.  There has
been much speculation about it.  For example:

There has long been the vague notion that gods draw power from the
belief of their worshipers.  Dragaerans don't quite have this
relationship with the gods, but Easterners do (or at least, Vlad
certainly makes it sound this way).  When Fenario was young, there
were many believers in the Demon Goddess.  We might also tie in Allam,
and speculatively suggest that the many deaths caused by this sword
were accepted as sacrifices to her.

However, as Brigitta points out, in Laszlo's time, few Fenarians
worship the Demon Goddess, outside of the Palace.  And the kings of
Fenario, while continuing to worship the Goddess, have perhaps not
been using Allam to kill people.  So as the pool of belief has shrunk,
the draining of power has focussed more and more on the Palace itself,
the place that is specifically dedicated to her.

But as I said, that's just speculation.

> ????? Fifth. Nosh-pa claims that fencing is a Eastern art,
> but Viktor nor the King practice such arts.

Shrug.  So?  Witchcraft is also an Eastern art, and there are no
witches in the story either.

A country can be large enough that more than one magical system, and
more than one fighting art, can be practiced there.  And the
practitioners might well look down on each other.

> ????? Sixth. What was the sword that Fenrio gave Kav. agian?
> Kerion the Conqueror's sword?

Fenarr (Crionofenarr) gave Kav (Khaavren) the Morganti sword that he
was carrying.  Kieron the Conqueror's sword was, at that time, still
with Kieron the Conqueror, in the Paths of the Dead.

> Because didn't he give get to Aleria's Father (the name esapeds my Auron?)

Actually, once Khaavren had the Morganti sword, he handed it off to
Adron e'Kieron.  We don't know what happened to it after that,
although Adron might have passed it on to Baritt.

> ???? Seventh. How can the Easterns musted enought people
> to fight if the own King's domian is that of a Boran in Dragaera?

Shrug.  Who can say?

> ?????Sorry for my wrongdoings (grammar,?spelling, names,
> and misunderstandings)

You might at the very least try using a spell-checker, or an e-mail
client that contains one.  That won't guarantee that the words are the
correct ones, but it might, perhaps, help.

The names of the characters in the books of Dragaera are all here,
correctly spelled (All kudos to Jon Lincicum/Majikjon for his efforts
in compiling this):

  http://dragaera.wikia.com/wiki/Meta:Dramatis_Personae

You might try bookmarking it, and copying-and-pasting the names from
there into your e-mails, if you have trouble remembering the spelling.