[Dragaera] A passing comment of Sethra's

Davdi Silverrock davdisil at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 14:12:02 PDT 2007

On 7/9/07, Philip Hart  wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Jul 2007, Philip Hart wrote:
>
> > [...] we might well have Texts which are reconstructed from incomplete
> > but overlapping sources, including some from Vlad's time.  For example
> > the comment about Sethra's disappearance might date from a pre-Vlad
> > manuscript.
>

> Actually that doesn't help much because Sethra had a high profile in
> the Piroiad, as probably already noted by someone above.

True, but the Piroiad starts pretty much where the Interregnum ends.

So perhaps the first draft of FHYA was composed during the
Interregnum.   Sethra is incommunicado in Dzur Mountain.  Paarfi, in
his ending for that draft, writes that maybe she's upset about the
botched Aliera teleport.  He sits on his draft, and updates it after
the end of the Interregnum (and the re-appearance of Sethra), but
forgets to modify the ending of that draft.

I think it's either stated outright or very strongly implied in
/Viscount/ that Sethra was refusing to leave Dzur Mountain because of
the danger of the Jenoine, not because of any issues with the loss of
Aliera.

Granted, that's from Sethra herself, and may be unreliable, but I
think it makes more sense than Paarfi's pararectal speculation.

> Anyway, it's possible that she had been maintaining a low profile
> in the pre-Vlad PI era, but took a more obvious hand in state affairs
> with Aliera's return.  This might correlate with the appearance of
> the pre-Paarfiad manuscripts referred to in the Vladiad.

I got the impression, as I've mentioned before, that that's a
pre-publication draft or partial fragment of tPG.  Sethra is mentioned
in there but does not actually appear.